I am an experienced technical business analyst; project manager and development team leader in both agile and waterfall environments. I am certified as a Prince2 Practitioner, Scrum Master and have also obtained the certificate in business analysis from BCS..
Additionally, I’m an experienced budget owner / domain lead. I have delivered significant savings to both Telefonica (£11m saving against £50m budget) and Interactive Investor (£700k saving against a 2m budget)..
I have a wealth of experience in big data and business intelligence, utilising tools such as Qlikview, Tableau, and PowerBI in conjunction with Hadoop Hive, MySQL and SQL to deliver insight to business stakeholders.
I have certified as an AWS Solutions Architect and have experience creating & executing migration plans for moving on-premise environments to the cloud and consulting with internal stakeholders around the feasibility of system migration to AWS. Further to this, I have authored the book AWS Zero to Hero.
I have experience working with auditors (such as KPMG & Baker Tilly) to remediate issues highlighted during audits, to enhance security and to improve compliance. Additionally, I have worked directly with stock exchanges (LSE, FTSE, NYSE) to ensure that the company’s data usage complies with their terms.
Education / Certifications:
|Information Systems BSc Hons – 2:1||Brunel University (2012)|
|AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate||Kryterion (2017)|
|Certified Scrum Master||The Knowledge Academy (2017)|
|Prince2 Practitioner||Axelos (2014)|
|ITIL V3 Foundation||BCS (2012)|
|Six Sigma Black Belt||Expert Rating Inc. (2012 & recertified 2017)|
|Certificate of Business Analysis||BCS (2018)|
Owner at Monkey Worldwide
May 2016 to present
Launched the Monkey Worldwide website in May 2016. In the first year, shipping thousands of units across the world. Developing relationships with suppliers & customers.
Author at AWS Zero
Sep 2017 to present
Authored the AWS Zero EBook, releasing it in September 2017. Selling hundreds of copies in the first 3 months.
Technical Business Analyst at Telefonica
October 2015 to present
Management / Budget
- £50M budget ownership & management for the data networks domain – identifying & delivering £11M of savings to the business in 2017.
- Led effort to ‘industrialize’ a mission-critical application: Brought supplier back in-line with service expectations; defined processes & structure around the application and put monitoring and control in place.
- Delivered and presented annual budget forecasts / storyboards to secure budget for the Data Access domain.
- Worked closely with finance, procurement & platform owners to develop business cases.
- Improved company insight and achieved £250k cost avoidance by designing & developing a fully interactive web-based reporting interface for network elements (HTML, CSS, JS & Dygraphs).
Cloud / Big Data:
- Utilized AWS Solutions Architect certification to assess viability of migrating O2 WiFi from on premise to AWS.
- Gathered and documented business & functional requirements for the delivery of analytics & reporting from the Hadoop cluster.
- Delivered business value through data analytics on the Hadoop cluster – utilizing Hive (HiveQL / SQL) & Tableau to understand network congestion and network demographics.
- Conducted visualization tool analysis for use on the Hadoop Cluster, selected Tableau as the tool of choice. Gained experience with: PowerBI, Microstrategy, Qlikview, Tableau and several smaller providers.
- Worked to deliver system migration strategy for current DPI & business intelligence tools & billing platforms. Including gap analysis between current and future system functionality.
- Worked with the Hadoop team to implement new processes and structure around the product to help better manage the cluster. This includes: a new request management process, approval workflows.
- Introduced JIRA & designed custom-workflows for programmes of work to enable better management of deliverables (internal and supplier) for Hadoop initiatives.
IT Business Analyst (AGILE)
August 2013 to October 2015
This role was spent with Interactive Investor (August 2013 to July 2014) and Financial Express (July 2014 to October 2015). Financial Express became a customer of Interactive Investor and were looking for platform expertise. I therefore worked in the same role, with the same team, however my employer changed as I moved to support Financial Express.
Development Lead / Business Analysis:
- Headed up a team of 12 developers working in 2 week sprint cycles to deliver new functionality
- Carried out data analysis on large scale databases to sanitize & validate customer portfolio data – enabling targeted marketing based on their actual portfolio valuations.
- Gathered requirements from business stakeholders to produce specification documents for new site functionality on both Trustnet Direct and Trustnet.
- Delivered a full SEO report on both Trustnet and Trustnet Direct and pitched to stakeholders. I then worked to deliver these changes alongside the developers.
Contract Negotiations / Budgeting:
- Managed the migration to Amazon Web Services (AWS) – saving £114k per annum
- Managed the data centre consolidation & rationalisation (saving £200k per annum)
- Analysed and managed network provider switch & roll-out (saving £80k per annum)
- Managed mission critical data feed provider migration – major re-coding effort that saved £252k per annum, moving from Interactive Data to Morningstar for all front and back end financial data
- Managed IT audit & remediation (contract management, physical security, internal control processes)
- Led the Worldpay (PCI-DSS) compliance efforts including introducing new processes & creation of IT security policy
Technical Consultant at Hewlett Packard
August 2012 to August 2013
- Consulting with enterprise customers to scope requirements for HP Asset Manager system design
- Created scripts to analyse & manipulate data from existing data sources within the customer’s environment (including databases, text & XML files), ensuring minimal data redundancy during import
- Worked as a subject matter expert for the CG4 Mobile Asset Tracking solution which I deployed and tailored to meet the needs of Virgin Media (tailored interface, user roles and databases)
- Utilised VMWare to create environments in which HP Software could be deployed. These were used as sandbox environments to test integration’s
- Delivered face to face and virtual training to customers surrounding the new solutions. Additionally created training documentation and product demonstration videos
IT Governance Analyst + Project Manager at General Electric
July 2010 to July 2011
- Planned, supported and executed the business continuity trial for GE Capital’s European locations
- Created standard operating procedures, ensuring tasks are completed with the correct scope and outcome